Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme – ESOS
The Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is an energy assessment and energy saving scheme and is established by the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme Regulations 2014 (ESOS Regulations).
The scheme applies to large undertakings and groups containing large undertakings in the UK.
Any UK undertaking that employs 250 or more people or has an annual turnover in excess of 50 million euro (£38,937,777), and an annual balance sheet total in excess of 43 million euro (£33,486,489) qualifies for the scheme.
You also must take part in ESOS if your undertaking is part of a corporate group which includes another UK undertaking that meets either of these conditions.
Where a corporate group participates in ESOS, unless otherwise agreed the highest UK parent will act as a ‘responsible undertaking’ and be responsible for ensuring the group as a whole complies.
- The Company must choose a Lead Assessor and inform EA (Environmental Agency) when notified of compliance.
- The Lead Assessor must be member of an approved lead assessor register. QTP Limited can provide such a person.
- The Lead Assessor can be an employee or an external resource
- The Lead Assessor reviews the assessments to ensure compliance with ESOS requirements
- The Lead Assessor checks that audits are carried out according to ESOS requirements
- The Lead Assessor compiles the evidence pack
- Failure to notify – £ 5,000 +£500 / day
- Failure to maintain records – £5000
- Failure to do audit – £50,000 + £500 / day
- Failure to comply to compliance notice + £5,000 + £500 / day
- False statement – fived penalty £50,000
- Audits typically take 2-3 months to complete.
- You should build in time for delays in obtaining accurate data from multiple sources.
- Disparate sites can add time and cause delays with compliance.
- Implementing now will ensure you capitalise on early wins on consumption reduction.
- If applied correctly you should recover the compliance costs within a financial year.
If you have an ISO 5001 energy management systems that is certified by an approved certification body and covers all your energy use, this counts as your ESOS assessment.
If you are compliant via this route you would not need to calculate your total energy consumption and would not require a lead assessor to comply with ESOS.
Guaranteed UKAS Certification?
For a Fixed Price! Only QTP Limited Offer This Service
Complete The Form